- Surprisingly, this alkaline-based weight loss system, named Viance by McLean Design to signify the blending of vitality and science, is the first complete all-natural diet program. After analyzing the category and recognizing the opportunity, we redirected the client’s cleanse program to meet the larger need. The change opened up more opportunity than anticipated and set them on the path to immediate profitability.
BRAND STRATEGY, NAMING, BRAND DESIGN, PACKAGING DESIGN, SALES SUPPORT MATERIALS
- As natives of the beach-loving community on the island of Maui, this sunscreen company harbors a strong sense of responsibility toward the oceanic environment, its aquatic inhabitants, and the sun-worshippers that grace the shores of its privileged playground. McLean Design captures this aesthetic in a beautiful redesign that exudes a sense of premium care for oneself and one’s environment.
BRAND STRATEGY, POSITIONING, BRAND & PACKAGING DESIGN, SUPPORT MATERIALS
- When the energy drink category began to rage, Hansen Beverages enlisted McLean Design to take on the dominant Red Bull brand. We conceptualized, positioned, named, and designed Monster Energy as an iconic counter-culture personality, defined by the consumer’s most aggressive self-image. Monster immediately achieved #2 in the category and within the decade has become a billion-dollar brand.
STRATEGY, NAMING, BRAND IDENTITY, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR EXTENSIONS
- This swashbuckling label, an exclusive for BevMo from the Plata Wine Group, combines the mystery of pirate mythology with a premium wine expectation. Black sails evoke the romance and excitement of a high-seas adventure — with the glare of a blood-red flag cutting through the dark. This traditional pirate emblem, the skull and hourglass quartered by a cross, dramatizes the presentation as a unique and daring experience.
BRAND DEVELOPMENT, NAMING, PACKAGING DESIGN, BRAND IDENTITY, PRINT ENGINEERING
- California farm cooperative NuCal Eggs had been selling premium variety eggs for years, but needed to raise the value proposition in order to sustain their preferred humane animal-welfare practices. Our solution was to create a new brand that celebrates the independent family farm lifestyle with classic rural imagery, emphasizing its Earth-friendly sensibilities and decidedly non-commercial character.
BRAND POSITIONING, NAMING, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM, SALES SUPPORT MATERIALS
- A clear understanding of evolving consumer behavior helped McLean Design introduce an unfamiliar but über healthy European dairy product called quark to a highly skeptical American market. Quark is a creamy, cheese-like fare with yogurt-like features, a staple in Europe but almost entirely alien to U.S. shoppers. The challenge was to present it as captivatingly different but not strange, European but not old-fashioned or elite gourmet.
BRAND NAMING, BRAND DESIGN, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM
- A new generation of health-conscious consumers are looking for wholesome, nutritious snacks that fit their healthy lifestyles. But what does “healthy” look like? Our redesign of Sunsweet’s dried fruit and juice packaging — with natural-light soft-focus editorial photography — conveys its attributes at a glance, offering this old-world treat within a new-world vocabulary.
STRATEGY, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM, STRUCTURAL DESIGN, INTERNATIONAL PACKAGING
- Chevron’s 100+ year-old Havoline brand is a true American icon. While enjoying a massive loyal following, its value price-point and dated shelf presence failed to live up to its “front of the pack” reputation. Our redesign retains critical equities while introducing a proprietary look and feel of precision engineering and automotive technology. With a new high-spec formula and a $1 price increase, the newly invigorated 50+ SKUs are putting Havoline back in the race, swappin’ paint with the big boys.
PACKAGING DESIGN, PRINT CONSULTING
- For years, this family-owned spirit was simply the regular house brand at the family’s authentic Mexican restaurants in Chicago. However, as its reputation grew, the family was convinced that their “golden bull” was worthy of its moment in the sun. McLean Design was commissioned to create a deeply authentic experience, consistent with the family’s rich heritage, that would offer a compelling experience to the uninitiated.
BRAND CONSULTING, BRAND & PACKAGING DESIGN, CUSTOM BOTTLE DESIGN, PRINT ENGINEERING
- When chemists at Mothers created an innovative new leather care system, they asked McLean Design to help them transform it into a compelling retail proposition. The result is Mothers LeatherTech, a product line that looks more like cosmetics or skin care packaging than the usual nuts-and-bolts aesthetic common to the category. This unique approach elevates the brand and provides a competitive advantage against industry heavyweights.
SUB-BRAND DEVELOPMENT, TRADE DRESS DESIGN, PACKAGING DESIGN, PRODUCT NAMING
- Once again leading the pack in salad innovation, Fresh Express created the first seasonal, artisanal-grown line of salad blends and invented a patented Naturesave™ bag to put them in. More foodie-savvy and eco-friendly, we created graphics that credibly express these benefits and meet the physical challenges on-shelf. With a much more natural expression and a restrained brand, the line looks like it came straight from the farmers market.
PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR EXTENSIONS, PRINT ENGINEERING, STRUCTURAL CONSULTING
- Gas grilling had been eroding Kingsford’s market for years. Our assessment? The brandmark looked like an appliance logo, the opposite of this outdoor-only experience, losing its connection to the masculine art of cooking with real fire. Our aggressive new trajectory for the brand is intentionally more threatening, and places it outdoors, where real men can risk life and limb in their quest for the authentic BBQ experience. Brand sales have since doubled and burn hotter than ever.
BRAND REFRESH, PACKAGING REDESIGN, BRAND EQUITIES REFRESH
- While the usual suspects in Lowe’s garden center are visually cluttered and heavy-handed, this pristine presentation captures the homeowner’s desire for clean, vibrant spaces. Our relaunch of the Sta-Green national brand into the big-box arena takes advantage of the clumsy category norms to provide a dignified sense of purpose, effectiveness, and scientific precision that elevates the brand above the fray as a premium offering.
PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM, PRINT CONSULTING